Spring is almost over. Did you write down your goals for the year? It’s time to take out your list (or re-create one) and reaffirm where you stand.
If you’re like the majority, you might be losing sight of your goals or starting to slip just a little bit. No problem. Just keep in mind, to facilitate change in your life you need a sense of urgency and determination. Weight loss is a marathon – not a sprint.
Here are five ways you can transform you goals into real change in your life:
1. Accept the fact that you’re human. We are not perfect, and until we accept that we will never be able to change.
2. Acknowledge what you would like to change by saying it out loud or writing it down. “I have a problem with resisting ice cream,” or “I have a problem getting to the gym on weekdays.” By identifying your issue, it puts a name to what you would like to change and sets in motion your intent to take yourself more seriously.
3. Dedicate yourself to change. If you can’t make it to the gym during the week because of time constraints, write down other activities that you can do closer to the home or even in your living room. If you can’t seem to resist sweets, research tasty, healthy snacks that you can take with you so you have that extra ammunition when sweets are put in front of you.
4. Discipline yourself by repeating your goals to yourself every day. You can say it out loud or write it down. Reaffirmation can come in the form of writing down how many calories you eat every day or how much exercise you are getting.
5. Get started on your action plan. Steady progress, even if it is slow, will keep you moving toward your goal. Starting small and building on little victories it will reap huge benefits in the long-term. Exercise one day a week and build to four days a week over the course of two months.
Doing one thing daily that moves your toward your goal will help you begin a pattern of change that will accelerate over time. People often give up because of a feeling of overwhelm. Don’t feel like you have to do everything at once – take baby steps and keep a close eye on your goals. One day at a time is how big change is achieved.
Are you thinking about weight loss surgery as a solution for your obesity? Come to one of our FREE informational seminars and find out whether weight loss surgery is a viable solution for you! Click here to view our calendar to see when you can next join us.