Whatever your age, athletic ability or weight, you can benefit from aerobic activity. The wonderful thing about aerobic exercise is that as your body grows accustomed to the activity, you will get fitter, stronger and have a greater ability to work out at a higher intensity — amplifying the benefits!
Besides keeping excess weight at bay, aerobic exercise:
But not everyone likes the treadmill, stair stepper or elliptical, and walking or running outdoors may just not be your thing. Maybe that $60 per month gym membership is beyond your budget, or you are shy and would rather work out in the privacy of your own home.
- Helps to increase your stamina
- Wards off illness
- Reduces a whole host of health risks
- Helps manage chronic health conditions
- Strengthens your heart
- Boosts your mood
- Helps you stay independent and active as you age
Don’t despair. You can have fun and burn calories right in your living room by dancing your butt off. That is right. A rhythmic Latin or Bollywood sequence can burn up to 221 calories in just 30 minutes.
Not sure where to start? Here’s a few tips:
- Download a workout’s worth of your favorite upbeat tunes or just plug in your favorite dance CD.
- Start with something fun and somewhat upbeat like “Walk Like an Egyptian,” by The Bangles or “Jungle Boogie,” by Kool and the Gang, and move on to faster beats like “Hey Ya!” by Outcast or “Wake Me Up Before You Go Go,” by Wham!.
- Slow the beat down toward the end of your workout to cool down, and don’t forget to include stretching.
If you would rather do a workout led by an instructor, here are a few great instructor-led dance workouts to get you started!
Fat Burning Cardio Dance Workout: Jane Fonda
Fat-Burning Cardio Dance Workout: Denise Austin
Pump It Up Ultimate Dance
Zumba Fitness Dance Workout- Star Fit
Club Hip Hop: Heel Glide Swag With Bryan Tanaka
Hallmark Health System’s Center for Weight Management and Weight Loss Surgery is here for you every step of the way on your weight-loss journey. Follow us and talk to our community on Facebook and Twitter. You’ll get healthy recipes, weight loss tips and tricks and encouragement from our healthy, supportive community.