170 Governors Ave.
Medford, MA 02155
|"A" grade for patient safety from The Leapfrog group|
Marathon runner Douglas Gray, 37, of Medford, was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes two years ago, but with the help and expertise of The Joslin Diabetes Center Affiliate at Hallmark Health System (HHS) he has curbed the disease’s impact on his life. The Center is located at Lawrence Memorial Hospital of Medford (LMH).
Gray, who runs 10-miles round trip to and from his job as the Rooms Controller at the Boston Marriott Cambridge in Kendall Square each day and competes in marathons and other longdistance races, works closely with the Center’s staff, including his endocrinologist Dr. Sunita Schurgin, to monitor and maintain his blood sugar levels. He also has to maintain his health to keep up with his wife Natasha and their son Timur, 5 ½.
Gray was “shocked” when he was diagnosed with diabetes, especially because the disease doesn’t run in his family. He’d been having trouble staying hydrated, but didn’t think much of it because he had been running a lot. It wasn’t until his vision started to decline that he decided to see his primary care physician. “I was completely blindsided,” said Gray. “I assumed I was over training.”
But Gray hasn’t let diabetes slow him down. He completed his first 50-mile race in September and is training for a 100-mile race in May. Gray makes sure to adjust his insulin if he’s going on a really long run and also never runs without glucose gel, which he could take if his sugar level starts to drop.
Gray was happy to learn the hospital was affiliated with The Joslin Diabetes Center and has continued to be impressed with the clinical expertise of the staff. He said he definitely made the right choice in selecting HHS for his diabetes care. “I couldn’t ask for more,” said Gray when asked about the Center’s staff. “I have the ultimate confidence in Dr. Schurgin and her clinical colleagues at the Center.”
The Joslin Diabetes Center Affiliate at Hallmark Health System, which opened at LMH in 2011, brings the expertise of the world’s preeminent diabetes research and clinical care organization to the community. Patients can now receive the most up-todate diabetes and endocrinology treatment without traveling into Boston. The Center builds on HHS’s solid reputation for comprehensive, patient-centered diabetes and endocrinology care while offering patients the latest advances for treating diabetes and its complications as well as patient education.
Lawrence Memorial Hospital (LMH) is a 134-bed acute care hospital offering a range of medical services including Urgent Care Center, emergency care, cardiology, oncology/hematology, day surgery, general and specialty surgery, acute medical services, geriatrics, medical-psychiatry, Center for Weight Management and Weight Loss Surgery and comprehensive diagnostic and outpatient services.
LMH physicians are rated among the best in Massachusetts. The LMH Independent Physician Association (IPA) ranked among the top four in the 2002 Tufts Health Plan assessment of over 83 groups. Residents from some of the top medical schools in the country come to Lawrence Memorial Hospital.
Watch our Videos:
LMH boasts some of the most technologically advanced and highest quality clinical programs in the area. Areas of special expertise include:
- A cardiology program that offers advanced treatment and ongoing research using the most advanced heart medications including ACE inhibitors, beta blockers, and lipid-lowering agents to manage the care of patients after a heart attack or patients with heart failure. The largest enroller for clinical cardiology trials in Boston's northern suburbs, LMH is currently involved in several studies exploring new treatments for congestive heart failure.
- A comprehensiveCancer Center offering the most advanced treatment and support services in community-based settings. The program is fully approved by the Commission on Cancer of the American College of Surgeons and provides a wide variety of treatment options including surgery, chemotherapy, and radiation close to home. Only 20 percent of U.S. hospitals have approved cancer programs. In addition, patients have access to the latest clinical trials and latest cancer care developments.
- The Joslin Diabetes Center Affiliate at Hallmark Health.
- Diagnostic imaging and x-ray including PET-CT scanning, a highly sophisticated test that gives physicians pinpoint accuracy to access cancers.
- Pulmonary rehabilitation at LMH is one of the few programs in the state. Referrals often come from teaching hospitals who rely on our program to care for their patients.
- A Center for Weight Management and Weight Loss Surgery designated as a Bariatric Surgery Center of Excellence by American Society for Metobolic & Bariatric Surgery.
- Geriatric Medical-Psychiatric programs specialize in providing evaluation and treatment of psychiatric disorders in the geriatric population and patients with acute/chronic medical problems.
- A full-service Travelers' Health Service, offering travelers piece of mind when visiting third-world countries by providing immunizations and follow-up care.
LMH also boasts a Center of Excellence in Nursing Education, The Lawrence Memorial/Regis College Nursing Programhas been educating professional nurses since 1924 and is one of the few hospital-based nursing schools in Massachusetts offering either a two-year nursing degree program or a four-year program for students seeking a nursing degree and B.S. The program is notable for its emphasis on direct patient care and academic collaboration with Regis College. A unique preceptor program offers students an opportunity to work one-on-one with experienced nurses in a variety of clinical settings. The nurse preceptors are relieved of direct patient care duties in order to help train nursing students and new nurses at LMH.
In addition LMH and Regis College have recently added a radiography technology education program to address the shortage of trained x-ray and ultrasound technicians. To learn more, visit www.lmregis.org.
Lawrence Memorial Hospital
170 Governors Ave, Medford MA 02155
From Cambridge & Arlington:
Take Route 60 East into Medford Square. Turn left onto Governors Avenue. Lawrence Memorial Hospital will be on the left.
From 93 North/South:
Take 93 to Exit 33 and take the rotary to South Border Road. Turn left onto Governors Avenue. Lawrence Memorial Hospital will be on the right.
Friends and family are encouraged to visit during the scheduled visiting hours:
12 noon – 8 p.m.
Intensive Care Units
5 minutes every hour
(family members only)
We have placed large posters at hospital entrances that request patients and visitors to alert hospital staff if they have flu symptoms. If no symptoms are present, they are reminded to cover their mouth and nose when they cough or sneeze and wash their hands with soap and warm water, which are important ways to prevent the spread of germs.
Free parking is available at both hospitals. The lots are patrolled by security personnel around the clock. If you have any questions about where to park or need assistance finding a space, ask the on-duty security person or the receptionist in the main lobby.
Gift shops are located in the lobbies of both Lawrence Memorial Hospital and Melrose-Wakefield Hospital. Please call for hours of operation.
Lawrence Memorial Hospital and Melrose-Wakefield Hospital are smoke-free environments. Smoking is not permitted anywhere on Hallmark Health System facilities.
News & Events
Thursday, September 11 2014 15:50